A number of hospitals, medical groups and health plans have successfully implemented community transportation services for patients (who lack private vehicles) in need of transportation to medical appointments or to urgent care/emergency services.
The essential components of a successful Courtesy Medical Transportation Service include the following resources:
1. A non-profit organization to serve as sponsor.
2. A community Steering Committee;
3. Volunteer support personnel;
4. Availability of safe passenger vehicles;
5. Appropriate type and level of insurance coverage;